Recently I made some big changes. I decided to get rid of my beautiful flat in London to go and travel America to write and perform music (although I didn’t know any Americans or anything about the American music scene lolz). I was scared, but I did it, and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. It exceeded my expectations and a whole new world opened up for me. I wrote the best music I have so far and performed on countless stages. Sometimes we get divine inspiration about the next step to take in our life or an idea for a big change. I say GO FOR IT! Here are my 10 tips for big changes:
1. PROTECT YOUR DREAM– Don’t go blabbing to everyone about your new idea until it gains form. Baby ideas are just like actual babies. They need protecting and nurturing and time to grow before they get exposed to the cruel world. Take time to feel confident in what you are going to do until you tell others.
2. IDK– Be willing to say ‘I don’t know’. When you and other people ask ‘HOW are YOU going to do that?!’ answer ‘I don’t know just yet, but I’m willing to figure it out’
3. NO ADVICE– One of the greatest pieces of advice my dad gave me was ‘Everyone loves giving advice. Don’t listen to it. Only you know’. Other people are not qualified to make judgements or give advice on your life, so don’t allow them. Let people ramble on, but whatever you do DON’T listen.
4. FOLLOW WHAT FEELS GOOD– Check ideas against your heart. By this, I mean think about different options for the next step forward and notice how they sit in your body. If you feel awake, alive and excited- go for it! if you feel heavy, tired and stressed- choose something else which feels good.
5. FUTURE FEAR– Don’t leap ahead to see how this idea could go wrong. Everything is transient. Relationships end, businesses collapse and people die. Don’t let fear about how something will unfold stop you getting stuck in in the first place.
6. TELL SOMEONE SUPPORTIVE– When we get an idea to make a big change we need to get it off our chest. As I said earlier you don’t want to blab to everyone. Pick one or two people who you really trust and tell them about it and notice how it feels.
7. THE SHOULD GAME– Don’t play the should game. We’ve all got ideas about what we should and shouldn’t be doing. “I should be more successful by now” “I should be responsible” “I should be sensible” Replace ‘should’ with the word ‘want’ and notice how it changes the dynamic of your thoughts. “I want to live my life to the fullest” “I want to express myself”
8. WRITE IT DOWN– Write down WHY you want to do WHAT you are gonna do. When you are having moments of doubt look back at it. Really thinking about the ‘whys’ and the ‘whats’ will help you get super clear too.
9. POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS– Have some positive affirmations to say to yourself to keep you going. When I was travelling in America mine were- “Help is always at hand” “I have friends everywhere” and “I relax into the flow of life” When I got into a sticky spot I said these to myself and they gave me instant comfort and the energy to keep going.
10. TRUST YOURSELF– Be your best friend! You are the one who knows yourself more than anyone else- trust that. Listen to the whispers from your soul (otherwise they will turn into screams). Trust in yourself and the world around you.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
GO FOR IT!!!
Lots of love